gay marriage and children

Encountered a "new" argument that we haven't addressed? Post it here.

gay marriage and children

Postby dmc514 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:40 am

I know this site is not necessarily meant for these kinds of topics but I think there might be people here that are interested enough. But I keep coming up against the argument against gays getting married and raising children because children need a mother and a father. I bring up the fact that single parents do just fine and they say that one parent is better than two of the same sex. Also they bring up the fact that kids would feel so weird having homosexual parents.

Thoughts?
dmc514

Postby Mythman » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:58 pm

Jeff tackled this a while back on AE. You're right, of course; if kids really need a mother and a father, then what of the single parents? They seem to be turning out just fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j__dVu6UPfs

As far as the social stigma for the kids, well it's the fault of the people making this argument that there is such a stigma in the first place. "They shouldn't be allowed to marry because I'll make fun of their kids." So just don't make fun of them! Problem solved.
Mythman

Re: gay marriage and children

Postby tktt » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:59 pm

dmc514 wrote:and they say that one parent is better than two of the same sex. Also they bring up the fact that kids would feel so weird having homosexual parents.

There is absolutely no evidence for this.

There already are and have been children in this world who have been raised by a same sex couple in this world.
So if being raised by same sex couple would be somehow harmful to the child, people would already have found at least some evidence about that.
tktt

Return to New Arguments