There HAS to be more than this!

Encountered a "new" argument that we haven't addressed? Post it here.

There HAS to be more than this!

Postby Jazzpirate » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:39 am

Hi there :-)

The often encountered "But there has to be more than just this!!!1!"-"Argument" seems to be missing... can that be? Or am I just to stupid to find it...?
In the first case that should probably be rectified - I think the perfect counter comes from
1. Richard Dawkins:
Well, how much more do you want?

and most of all
2. Tim Minchin:
Isn't this enough?
Just... this?
...beautiful, complex, wonderfully unfathomable, NATURAL world?
How does it so fail to hold our attention
that we have to diminish it with the invention
of cheap, man-made myths and monsters?
If you're so into your Shakespeare
"Lend me your ear":
"To guild refined gold
To paint the Lilly
To throw perfume on the violet
...is just fucking silly"
...or something like that

Now, I'd be happy to add it myself, but I didn't want to do so before asking whether I overlooked something. Also, I'm not a native speaker, so I'm not sure, whether my command of the english language is sufficient...
"Religion is like a dick - It's nice to have one, it's nice to be proud of it, but don't whip it out in public and please stop shoving it down children's throats!"
Jazzpirate

Postby Lausten » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:48 am

The "more than this" for some is, they don't want death to be the end. Eternal life seems to be pretty important to some people. Then of course you have the problem of that eternal life being good, but that is a different argument.

Also, people want purpose. If this is all there is, there seems to be no purpose, other than what we ourselves create. I'm fine with that, but many people need to be told what their life is for. Or they can't accept that there could be suffering without a reason. They want to believe they are struggling for some greater good at some undetermined future, even if it can't be explained what that greater good is.

Unfortunately for me, it took letting go of that before I really saw just how amazing and fantastic this "all there is" is. It can be hard to get people to give up what comforts them.
Lausten

Re: There HAS to be more than this!

Postby riverwestein » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:28 am

Jazzpirate wrote:Hi there :-)

The often encountered "But there has to be more than just this!!!1!"-"Argument" seems to be missing... can that be? Or am I just to stupid to find it...?
In the first case that should probably be rectified - I think the perfect counter comes from
1. Richard Dawkins:
Well, how much more do you want?

and most of all
2. Tim Minchin:
Isn't this enough?
Just... this?
...beautiful, complex, wonderfully unfathomable, NATURAL world?
How does it so fail to hold our attention
that we have to diminish it with the invention
of cheap, man-made myths and monsters?
If you're so into your Shakespeare
"Lend me your ear":
"To guild refined gold
To paint the Lilly
To throw perfume on the violet
...is just fucking silly"
...or something like that

Now, I'd be happy to add it myself, but I didn't want to do so before asking whether I overlooked something. Also, I'm not a native speaker, so I'm not sure, whether my command of the english language is sufficient...

Your command of english, at least thus far, seems superior to many native speakers :)

Also, nice "Storm" plug. That's perhaps the only beat poetry I've ever heard that was awesome.

I think perspectives like those presented in the well-known "A Universe from Nothing" lecture by Lawrence Krauss (google it if you haven't watched) beautifully articulate why it's amazing that we're here, and how fortunate we are to be able to have the conversation we're having, over relatively vast distances instantaneously. There is indeed beauty in this view of the world, and purpose - in my mind - is subjective. It's what you make it, because at the end of the day, we're no different than the rest of nature.

Our "purpose" is survival for survival's sake. The fact that we're able to contemplate such an idea is, in itself, purpose enough for me.
riverwestein

Return to New Arguments