Absence of Evidence = Evidence of Absence in Some Cases

Encountered a "new" argument that we haven't addressed? Post it here.

Absence of Evidence = Evidence of Absence in Some Cases

Postby oliethefolie » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:06 pm

I can't think of a name for this argument but here it is (forgive me if someone already made it and I didn't see it).

Olie's Argument Against *Some* Gods:
(1) God gave us free will
(2) God is omni-benevolent
(3) God is omnipotent
(4) Therefore, god wants to give us the best opportunity to get into Heaven with our own free will to believe in him and being omnipotent has the means to do so
(4.1) This means that an all-loving god would place insurmountable evidence that he existed so that only the most arrogant of us would think he doesn't exist and therefore go to Hell
(5) There is no evidence that god exists
(Conclusion) God with these characteristics does not exist[/url]
"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
-Douglas Adams

An Angry Teenager With a Camera and a YouTube Channel
oliethefolie

Postby bijane » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:51 pm

I think the general response is that all atheists are either a) not looking for God correctly (which kind of ignores the argument, but what other response could they give?) or b) all unreasoning, arrogant people and deserve to go to hell, bwahahahahahaa.
(more or less).

It doesn't really work on a Christian or other such believer as they believe there is already insurmountable evidence ('design', 'creation'...). Of course, that begs the question of why anyone can disbelieve, even the most arrogant, if the evidence is truly divinely insurmountable. Chances are, in response to that, you'll hear some twisted hybrid of 'free will' and 'take it on faith!'.
Disproving the Bible in a signature:
Revelations 22:18 ...If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book
Revelations 23:1 And God said 'hi'.
(I'm still fine)
bijane

Postby oliethefolie » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:54 pm

Thanks. This argument is really for atheists who accept there is no evidence or for theists who take it purely on faith and accept there is no physical evidence.
"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
-Douglas Adams

An Angry Teenager With a Camera and a YouTube Channel
oliethefolie

Postby DukeTwicep » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:43 am

Not to rain on your parade, but, you don't have to make a big list of properties to prove the Christian god is not possible. Just take like.. god is almighty, he created everything and will destroy it all in the end times, oh yeah? well how come he can't defeat some iron chariots then?
Or, wouldn't it have been more merciful of god to erase all human life from the earth after we ate the apple instead of letting thousands of generations suffer?

I mean.. the list of tiny objections that are totally valid points that you can make is Huge. And I guess that's one of the funniest things about debating with theists, you can bring them all up and then watch them make up some ridiculous loopholes.

I think that - the easier the argument is, the harder it is for the theist to walk away.

But I still get your argument, it could probably be summed up into a sentence or two.
I don't know if you've heard about Bill Hicks? He has a rant on religion on youtube where he brings up the absurdity of a god putting dinosaur bones in the ground to make us think the earth is older. It's a very funny rant, and it's a very sound argument. As is yours.
DukeTwicep

Return to New Arguments