AE promoting negative atheist stereotypes?

A place for discussion and feedback regarding the Non-Prophets podcast and/or the Atheist Experience TV show.

Re: AE promoting negative atheist stereotypes?

Postby McIago » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:48 pm

We will have to agree to disagree. It seems to me that you don't use the same lens when looking at the fundies, liberal religious and skeptics.
I am, therefore I think.
McIago

Postby EnlightenmentLiberal » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:07 pm

Let me try it like this: Can we agree that the fundies's idea of reality is drastically worse than the liberal christians, and the liberal christians's idea of reality is worse than the skeptic atheists? Because I can agree to that, and I think you're getting hung up there. I'm not arguing that fundies are closer to truth than liberal christians. In fact, I would argue that the methods fundies use to arrive at what they call truth is amazingly worse than liberal christians. However, I am arguing that this postmodern truth-relativism bullshit is prevalent in liberal christians, and far less common in fundies. That's my whole position. I think semantics got in the way. Can you agree to that?
EnlightenmentLiberal

Postby McIago » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:07 pm

The problem in agreeing with you is not in what you just wrote, it was implying that Liberal Believers [Christians, Jews and others], skeptics and atheists are equal to the fundamentals, if not more than them, in taking comfort from beliefs or holding to them for comfort. That is the point of disagreement.

I don't think it can be resolved by our exchanging views on it. As a skeptic, I can only take a strong stance on a point if it can be scientifically proven. This speculation, though interesting, is not provable. There is insufficient evidence, and insufficient definition of criteria to prove either your position or my objection to it.
I am, therefore I think.
McIago

Previous

Return to Non-Prophets / Atheist Experience Forum