TAE and feminism

A place for discussion and feedback regarding the Non-Prophets podcast and/or the Atheist Experience TV show.

Postby Lausten » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:55 pm

DjVortex wrote:Imagine that it was a well-known feminist that had acted like a jerk and posted some really insulting text towards men in the heat of the moment in some internet flamewar.

You're absolutely right that I am having trouble understanding what you are talking about. Whether that is my inability to understand or your inability to explain is probably best determined by a third party.

As for the above though experiment, you can hear some clues to it in the GB 2.2 podcast. They talk about an outspoken feminist and what they don't like about her. I don't remember the details, but I remember that they were speaking to specific behaviors, not general labels. I can do the same for the AA. He did a great job responding to the viral video "I Hate the Church But I Love Jesus". At that moment I was glad to have him on my team.

So, that's the trick, sorting out behaviors, listening to the logic and trying to ignore personality traits. Almost everybody crosses a line sometimes. And sometimes, somebody goes too far and you have to distance yourself from them. Always leaving room for them to clean up their mess of course. AA has crossed that line, and I support TAE in pointing it out.
Lausten

Postby DjVortex » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:36 am

Lausten wrote:As for the above though experiment, you can hear some clues to it in the GB 2.2 podcast. They talk about an outspoken feminist and what they don't like about her.

The day that some known atheist feminist participates in an internet flamewar and starts acting like a jerk and severely insults a man (or men in general), and then some TAE crew member makes a blog post in the official blog denouncing the behavior of this particular feminist (mentioning her by name and giving links to the flamewar, rather than just a generic anonymous "we don't approve of this kind of behavior") I will come here and post a public apology for having been unjustly prejudiced against the AE crew.

I won't be holding my breath, though.
DjVortex

Postby Lausten » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:05 pm

Tracie responded to the comments made by the women on The View who laughed about a woman who cut off her husband's penis. I would say that is pretty darn close, if not exactly what you asked for. If it is not exact enough, then your criteria is ridiculously specific.
Lausten

Previous

Return to Non-Prophets / Atheist Experience Forum