Hello from Germany

Post your introductions and welcome messages here

Hello from Germany

Postby chris » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:08 pm

Hi,

I'm from Germany, my name is Christian and I'm an atheist. (Yeah, I know, that sound's quite funny in English, especially here. It's not a problem in German. ;-)) I found the Atheist Experience show via clips on YouTube and started watching a few weeks back. Which by the way isn't very healthy for my sleeping habits due to the time zone difference. ;-)

About me: I was raised a protestant but I never really took the Bible very seriously. I was always a very rational person and never had a problem with accepting scientific facts (I was actually shocked that so many people would really believe stuff like Creationism when I found out that that BS actually existed - even as a theist I never, ever had a problem with the theory of evolution), in retrospect I probably would describe my faith as a God of the gaps type of thing with a little belief in Jesus and an afterlife thrown in. So the argument "you were never a real Christian" probably applies to me. I had some discussions with atheists back then which in retrospect boiled down to me somehow trying to justify the existence of a god with some variant of the cosmological argument - where of course I failed (but didn't admit it to myself at the time). These discussions however somehow didn't actually cause me to question my faith.

The reason I actually started to really think about what my beliefs were was when somebody I knew - who was also a very moderate Christian - said in a discussion that if there were no god, he would not be a good person. I'm not sure but I believe he even said something about running around murdering people. He wasn't generalizing with that statement - he was just talking about himself. Until that time I had never heard that kind of argument before and it sent a jolt through my mind. I was literally so shocked that I didn't even respond. I just thought "how can somebody who is a rational and kind person otherwise think such complete and utter BS?" I didn't try to answer that question at that time though, I only filed it in my memories as an extremely weird occurrence.

But that event somehow stayed in my subconscious. And later in my life when presented with the same arguments I had already heard against the existence of god I actually really thought about them. And well, now, after quite a bit of time to think about it, I would consider myself an atheist. In retrospect for a few years but I only really became comfortable with the label after reading Dawkins' God Delusion less than a year ago or so.

In retrospect it's kind of funny that so many people come on the show and ask the question of how somebody can be moral without a god. Well, perhaps my experience adds to the possible responses you guys can give on the show. :-) Oh, and keep it up, you're doing great!
chris

Postby Steve » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:23 pm

Welcome aboard.
Steve

Postby chris » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:51 pm

Thanks!
chris

Postby IllusionSector » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:33 am

Chris, what would've been even more deliciously ironic is if your last name were Church. And yup, as a matter of fact such a family name really does exists.
IllusionSector

Return to Who's Who (Introductions)