hello there!

Post your introductions and welcome messages here

hello there!

Postby bijane » Tue May 10, 2011 8:56 pm

Hello, I'm Jane, from the UK.

About me:
Best description of religion would be a pantheistic. I like metaphors, basically: God is defined as the greatest thing. What's greater than the universe itself?
I'm a complete and utter sci-fi lover. Arthur C Clarke's Rama Cycle are the best out there. Anyway, I've read a lot: and the ideas in several are food for thought, at the very least.
According to the Bible, I have at least four reasons to be killed. How about you?

I might be different to most here, in the sense I'm not a great fan of seeking out people to argue with, on the basis of theism, though I do enjoy debating when given the chance. It's always healthy to think about a world-view.
Just to say, a point in the above sentence: I'm not a great fan of seeking out people to argue with, because I do think people can believe in what they want: up to a line. That line is when their beliefs turn harmful, or deliberately deceitful.
On a note inspired by a sci-fi book (Frank Herbert's Dune. I'm not a great fan, but it's enjoyable. But don't get me started on the clone-science), religion can be used to encourage people. Inasmuch as it's been a tool for discrimination, it can be a tool of good also. In the same way books and films which admit to be fiction have succeeded in having a profound influence on society today, the texts of modern religions and long-dead faiths can.
Yeah...that might be an unpopular opinion for some people.

To conclude this...rant, I'm an ex-Christian (of sorts, never believed as such, only to the degree a child would believe when in a Christian Primary School). Still suffer from echoes of fear, but soon managed to evolve my beliefs after a little research and thought. I can make bad jokes, and I write a lot.
If you want to know anything else, just ask. Until then, I'll shut up before this gets too long.
Disproving the Bible in a signature:
Revelations 22:18 ...If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book
Revelations 23:1 And God said 'hi'.
(I'm still fine)
bijane

Return to Who's Who (Introductions)