Hello everyone

Post your introductions and welcome messages here

Hello everyone

Postby StirlingAthiest » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:54 am

Thought this would probably be the best place for my first post. I'm a student in scotland reading Politics, Law and History.
A little bit of my history: I was raised in a Christian family (I'm not sure that my parents subscribe to any particular subsect of christianity vehemently, they're protestants, but as child I regularly went to both a baptist church, an evangelical church, and for a while a methodist church). My parents are some of the most 'christian' christians that I have ever met, having devoted most of their lives to working voluntarily for Christian Charities, firstly aboard an OM faith ship, sailing around europe, africa and india. Following that they began running Christian bookshops for a seperate charity, currently my father works for the same charity setting up bookshops around africa, selling books for a tiny amount, (although it's still money that could be being spent on food/better accomidation).
As a child I was, quite understandably, exceptionally christian myself. At one point when asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, i answered 'The Archbishop of Canterbury'.
Having spent my childhood years preaching to my school fellows I encountered a new science teacher when I was 11. When I disagreed with the theory of evolution in class, she informed me that I was wrong about creationism, and slowly convinced me by the time that I was 12, that I was completely wrong. That is something that I'm forever grateful for. I just wish that the world was more accepting to teachers who wish to do that.
I was an athiest until I was about 17, having to attend church until ! was nearly 14. I became a Antithiest at 17, when I witnessed my cousin make homophobic remarks in front of my infant cousins, when I asked her to stop she, and the rest of my family informed me that I was wrong, and that the bible says that they're abominations. I had been tricked for years by the Friendly face of British christianity, everyone thinks that British christians don't harbour these views, and being a quite secular country (albiet with no seperation of church and state) most people just let them continue teaching their children this filth. Having experianced this I suddenly recalled the times that as a child people had taught me the same things (luckily I came to my senses).
So there you go, quite a long history now that it's written down.
And yeah, Hello all, I can't wait to get to know you, have some forum banter, and hopefully get editing.

Yours sincerly

StirlingAthiest
StirlingAthiest

Re: Hello everyone

Postby gauSSian » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:11 am

Hello and welcome! :mrgreen:
Living in their pools, They soon forget about the sea...— Rush, "Natural Science" (1980)

Don't you know though our kids are dumb, we got smart bombs, what a joyous thing!—Oingo Boingo, "War Again" (1993)
gauSSian

Return to Who's Who (Introductions)