Hi from Silicon Valley

Post your introductions and welcome messages here

Hi from Silicon Valley

Postby Underlings » Sun May 05, 2013 6:41 pm

Hey folks. I currently live in San Jose, CA, although I've lived all over the world. I was raised by parents who encouraged me to explore every religion I was exposed to...which was the perfect education to realize agnostic atheism is the only rational approach to religion. After all, when EVERYONE you meet is convinced they're right, and their beliefs are largely mutually contradictory, either almost everyone is wrong or they're all wrong. And since the one element ALL religions share is belief through faith, and faith or trickery are the only elements all false religions must be based on...it's pretty clear that NO religion can or should be trusted. Ergo...agnostic atheism.

After realizing I didn't have enough of a foundation in evolution to deal with creationists in high school, I gained a keen interest in evolution and subsequently pursued my degree in evolution (yeah, my college offered that as a minor, and I took more classes in that than my major, English). I did a little graduate work in science history, sociology and philosophy, and then studied to become a naturalist/guide in the Galapagos Islands, where I worked for a year. Since then I've spent a couple of decades arguing with creationists and fundies on various forums, first defending science, then later attacking (mostly biblical) theism.

I currently maintain an anti-theism channel on YouTube under the name "Underlings." Most of my videos concern the immorality of the biblical God, but I also address some science issues and deal with the problems with cosmological arguments for God. My objective is to deconvert as many theists as possible, and I'm pleased to say I've had some good success. If you're interested in seeing my work, feel free to check it out at:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Underlings

Cheers,
Derek
"Eve, stop! That's not a salad...it's my laundry!"
Underlings

Re: Hi from Silicon Valley

Postby EnlightenmentLiberal » Sun May 05, 2013 9:32 pm

Underlings wrote:Hey folks. I currently live in San Jose, CA, although I've lived all over the world. I was raised by parents who encouraged me to explore every religion I was exposed to...which was the perfect education to realize agnostic atheism is the only rational approach to religion. After all, when EVERYONE you meet is convinced they're right, and their beliefs are largely mutually contradictory, either almost everyone is wrong or they're all wrong. And since the one element ALL religions share is belief through faith, and faith or trickery are the only elements all false religions must be based on...it's pretty clear that NO religion can or should be trusted. Ergo...agnostic atheism.

I have to agree that this is the most compelling argument IMHO that faith is a bad way to learn things about the world. This is the best example that demonstrates that it doesn't result in truth. I think it would be a lot harder to be an atheist if all religious people believed the same things "on faith". Not impossible, but I would have had to done a lot more exploration of meditation and prayer and such. Luckily, it's quite evident that faith is not a path to truth.
EnlightenmentLiberal

Postby Underlings » Mon May 06, 2013 7:01 pm

I think it would be a lot harder to be an atheist if all religious people believed the same things "on faith".

That's true...although it would still all be just one big argument from popularity.
Underlings

Postby sepia » Mon May 06, 2013 8:49 pm

Isn't an apologetic group founded by Neil Mammen in Silicon Valley? If so how do you come clear with them?

To YouTube: You might be interested into TheAtheistHub
sepia

Postby Underlings » Mon May 06, 2013 9:31 pm

Hmm, never heard of the guy or the group before you mentioned them. They've never come up in any online discussions I've seen, either. So I'd say I come clear with them by simply not being aware of their existence. ;)
Underlings

Return to Who's Who (Introductions)