Hello from NorCal

Post your introductions and welcome messages here

Hello from NorCal

Postby hemibill » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:31 am

Hello everyone,

My name is Bill and I guess I'm a "closet atheist", which my 4 sisters (all various ranges of 'devout') do not understand. I've watched many of the Atheist Experience shows on YouTube and I have to commend Matt for having such patience when dealing with the callers. I hope to gain some of that patience so I can deal with my siblings.

I was raised in what I describe as being a "part-time" Episcopal family. I was baptized, had a "godfather" (though he was hundreds of miles away), and I participated in "confirmation" some time around age 12 or so. My parents took us to church on all of the big holidays as well as many Sundays, but religion was never big in our family. We never had Bible readings (though I do own no less than 8 different copies) and outside of saying a prayer before bed and grace before a meal, we grew up devoid of the daily rituals. Yet my sisters are amazed that I'm NOT religious, though they are. Maybe it's because I skipped Sunday School (I actually only remember attending 2 times) or maybe it's because I never "bought in" to the whole idea of Christianity.

At any rate, my parents are long gone and I am planning to have some sit-down discussions with my sisters the next time I visit them. Hopefully some of Matt's patience rubs off on me.

Thanks for listening,
BILL
hemibill

Re: Hello from NorCal

Postby EnlightenmentLiberal » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:01 am

Welcome!

Slight misunderstanding: So, your sisters know you're not a believer, but not a lot of other people know? That's why you used "closet atheist"?
EnlightenmentLiberal

Re: Hello from NorCal

Postby hemibill » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:17 pm

I don't think my sisters *know* for certain, but they act like they know. I have never come right out and said "I am an atheist" to them simply because it has never come up. It just has not been an issue in my life, much like roller skates - I tried them once, it did not work out, so my life went on without skates. That simple.

I listen to many of the Atheist Experience shows on youtube and I have often heard Matt say "I wish everyone could go through what I went through" and I feel I am the lucky one, because I did not get indoctrinated to the extent of my sisters or Matt. I am glad Matt was able to see through all the BS and as much as I'd hope my sisters could (or would) see through it, I know it is probably not going to happen for them. (Maybe 2 of them, but probably not the other 2).

BILL
hemibill

Return to Who's Who (Introductions)