Swedish Christian newspaper and answer

Post links to video, audio, images or other media items. Funny or informative

Swedish Christian newspaper and answer

Postby DukeTwicep » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:46 pm

I want to share an article from a Swedish Christian newspaper and my answer to it. Because I want to hear if you think my answer was a proper one, if I should perhaps edit it in some way, add some or remove some. Your thoughts are very much appreciated.
I've run the article and answer through google translate so there may be some errors, I'll try to correct those I see. (I corrected most things in my answer)

Time for theological liberal education

a previous article, the need for Christian advocacy treated. It is the first of [this paper's] three priority areas. The following article is concerned that we have chosen to call for theological education. Soon we will start our theology pages, which will be an engine in the [paper's] theological extramural education.
What is the theological public education? It is essential to bring the knowledge of God to the common people, especially to Christians. That we Christians once again become what used to be called for readers. Let us take the three components of the theological liberal education. Theology, culture and people.

In the first place. Theology. It means "the creed of God." Theology has sometimes been seen as a problem rather than something positive, in parts of Christendom. Not least in the revival Christian context. Often it has its roots in the experience of many young, passionate Christians who have gone through theological education have come out the other side with a marked weakening of faith. Or no faith at all. Many of the theological education has had a liberal theological stance, which has meant just that. The criticism has nevertheless been misplaced many times. It has been drawn to theology itself, when it should instead be directed at the theological institutions. The problem is not theology as a phenomenon, but the content of theology. To learn more about God and to know God in a more intimate way, of course, is something very positive. Correct, true, Bible-rooted theology is a prerequisite for a sound Christian life. It gives fuel to the passion and make it more sustainable.

In our theology pages, we will approach theology in a broad sense. There will be Bible studies, descriptions of historical revivals and personalities, apologetics and defense of basic Christian truths. But also more ethical problems will have their place. Theology involves a variety of areas. In all this we will have a permanent place in the Bible passage.

Second. Formation. When there is no knowledge of what God's Word say on important issues, is any questioning of Christian faith as a threat. When cultural personalities, liberal theologians and others explained away the supernatural, questioning Jesus' divinity, resurrection and virgin birth, rationalizes away all the things in the Bible that are inconvenient and unfashionable, so presenting himself sometimes a nervousness among Bible-believing Christians, and we react with fear. Why? Because we lack knowledge. We have not learned to "give reasons for our faith," as the Bible tells us to. We have opted out of knowledge for the benefit of emotions. We need a major investment in education. The more we learn, the more we investigate, the more we look, the closer to the truth, we will. Our theology sides will contribute to an increased formation of the questions that are relevant to the times we live in.

Thirdly. People. We need to reclaim theology from the academic institutions. The sound theology needs to get out to the people. It needs to be tangible and relevant to the ordinary Christian. The pros are great, but it needs to be a mobilization of the body of Christ, where we all draw us closer to Jesus and become increasingly grounded in the Word liberating truth. The message (theology) needs to be addressed to the recipients (people) and it can only happen through education. Therefore, we are investing in the [paper] what we call pre-theological education.

My answer:

I believe that Mr. Chief Berggren need to form a better idea of what moderation and humility to others humans. Berggren believes that we need to bring the "learning" of Christianity to the people. Berggren is not aiming at the Christians although so he writes. He refers to those who have not got an eye-opener, or thought it was important to contemplate, if God exists.
Berggren writes that we need to "take back" the theology of the academic institutions.
I say, "Hooray," if it turns out that the theological courses leave the academic institutions. For where they do not belong. Theology is no science, and it doesn't belong in a real academic institution. The only reason that the theology institutions still exist in the academic ones is because of tradition. We have had Christianity in Sweden for over a millennium, and the church has had a very much power at this time. It was not until a few hundred years ago the church began to fall down and we walked out of the "dark ages", the Middle Ages. This in conjunction with the escalation of science, and the Enlightenment. The church was cut off from the state, however, very late, late into the 1900s.

I get the impression that Berggren believes that theology institutions must exist for "people" instead of the educated section of the people. That the Christian education must be diluted so as to reach as many people as possible.
I'll tell you Berggren, that it was not long ago we had just that. We had a Christian education in schools not so long ago. Luckily it was scaled to be included in a package called "religion". In due course, so will this package be included in a more comprehensive package, "philosophy".
But Berggren believe that we should go back to indoctrinate our future generations of children in a doctrine that is based on a thousand year old book that contains more falsifications, contradictions and horrors than it contains important moral and ethical issues?
It is laughable that Berggren follows Mark 16:15: "Then he said unto them, Go ye into all the world and preach the good news to all people."
Sweden's people say no. Leave us alone! Let Christians preach in their churches. But do not let them announce their "truths" in our town square or in our schools. The church is separate from the state. The church should not interfere in education. We tolerate religion as long as it stays within limits. Religious freedom, yes, everyone should have that freedom. But we can not allow brainwashing in the name of Jesus.
Berggren, keep your so-called "education" within your church. Freedom of religion means that we tolerate religion, it is not the opposite that you tolerate that others do not have religion. Freedom from religion is larger than freedom of religion. For we can not let you follow all the words in your holy books. You are under the Swedish law first and secondly, if you have to, the laws you make up for your own.

Berggren seem to think that spirituality is something that religion has a monopoly on. Yes, it is religion's last bastion of a healthy thinking society. To exploit people's emotions, grief and depression to win supporters. Getting people to believe that a life without God is a meaningless life.
But it is not Berggren's fault that this is a common Christian thought. It is the fault of Christianity, which itself portrays the non-believers as damned, lost, without future, without a goal. It is the Bible that portrays hell as the final destination of the non-believers, and thus creates an incredible psychological terror of the believers, especially for those who waver. For those living in the belief that they will burn for all eternity. Lovingly say the least.

I drag myself back to Berggren's second paragraph where he writes at the end, "Correct, true, Bible-rooted theology is a prerequisite for a sound Christian life."
What is the correct interpretation of the Bible?
What is the "true" interpretation of the Bible?
True? Correct? So Berggren believes there is an objective interpretation of the Bible that is always "true"? Berggren may also believe that there is objective morality in the world, or that his own way of thinking is the way it is meant to think about. It sounds like something taken from a diary from a mentally ill patient with hallucinations and a constant interest in conspiracy theories.
But if there had been an objective interpretation of the Bible, it is still probably far from Berggren's interpretation. For I doubt that he's used to read about God's background that is written in the Old Testament, where he kills people mindlessly to his left and right, either because they have chosen other gods (either because. They never heard of God or due. they've been indoctrinated) or because they slept with the "wrong" men or women. The god who expects you to be willing to kill your children for him. The god who orders wars, death, torture and other more gruesome and immoral acts. The god who thinks it's OK to have slavery and twisted views of womanly behaviour. For the woman is supposed to be quiet and do as the man says. This is still the same God who also says he loves people. I compare this god to the mother who tortures, abuses and kills the children she loves.

And what is, listen, Bible-grounded interpretation of the Bible?
And, what is a sound Christian life? I guess Berggren refers to an "as sound as possible" life. What do Berggren with the word sound? If he by that mean to live a comfortable lie, then it's probably a Christian life to live, where you deny what you want because it's convenient, and choose what should be true and what is to be a lie. A life where life is only a prelude to eternity in another life. A very pointless life then, but not to the Christians, because they live in the comfortable lies and are unaware that life could be better.
If he instead mean "a healthy life", then it's probably a life without religion. A life where you focus on living the life you live as well as possible and as rewarding as possible, then we realized that this life is the only chance to live a good life. For doesn't the person live most who has realized that he will soon not exist? The cancer patient with only one day left to spend the final hours with his loved ones. Imagine what he missed when he had not previously realized that death is inevitable and this is your only chance to spend time with those you love.

Religion portray atheism as it would be a bad thing. A life without meaning. A life without an afterlife. In some cases, a hell that awaits after this life. A life without love.
Love, the word that Christianity has had a monopoly on so long. And most of the Swedish Christians would still say that they accept evolution. Love is a product of evolution. "Morality" is a product of evolution. We humans are not the only ones who think morally and ethically. Most animals have some form of morality and ethics. But we choose to think of ourselves as we are above other animals.

Berggren. If there is any education that the Swedish people needs, it's not the Christian "true" or "real" education. We should instead educate people with morals and ethics that we All can agree on. We should educate people to appreciate the life we have and not yearn for a fantasy world after this. Maybe then we can more easily reach a resolution of our grief, and appreciate other people's contributions to this world more. When we stop worrying about how unicorns and teacups judge us and our actions. Perhaps then we can take more responsibility for our actions.
I long for this world.
And I grieve for the world that looks like the one Berggren wants to create.

DukeTwicep

Return to Media Madness