Human rights debate: Matt Dillahunty vs Abdu

Post links to video, audio, images or other media items. Funny or informative

Human rights debate: Matt Dillahunty vs Abdu

Postby dobbie » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:24 pm

Debate - Should America be a Nation Under God?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HZ_eJYItkM&feature=player_detailpage#t=2895s

[48:15]

This is where the question of rights is asked. The way I see it, it’s really quite simple. It’s two-fold. 1) People can have a right in principle. 2) And people can have a right in practice.

Naturally it does little good to have a right in principle but to be denied it in practice.

Until the right in principle is put into practice, the right does little good.

Matt talks about the pragmatic value of a right (the right in practice). The opponent talks about having a right in principle, and practically seems to state that having it in principle is basically enough.

And on top of it, most of the audience doesn’t seem to discern the difference. But I would expect to hear them cry loud and long if a practical right were ever taken away from them while they were told that they still have it in principle.
Last edited by dobbie on Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
dobbie

Re: What do you do with rights: Matt vs Abdu

Postby DjVortex » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:15 am

I just love the circular logic that the guy is using: "The source of X must be a transcendental personal being; God is a transcendental personal being; therefore the source of X must be God."

Anyways, I am still of the opinion (as I have mentioned in the past) that these types of debates are more or less useless. The people who previously agreed with the position of one of the debaters did not change their opinion and concluded that he "won" the debate, and vice-versa. Nobody got anything useful from this, nobody learned from this, nobody "won", and most importantly, the actual truth hasn't changed.
DjVortex

Re: What do you do with rights: Matt Dillahunty vs Abdu

Postby dobbie » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:43 pm

DiVortex wrote:
Anyways, I am still of the opinion (as I have mentioned in the past) that these types of debates are more or less useless.

I'm with you. Those people who are obviously more interested in the principle have a hard time communicating with those people who are obviously more interested in the practice. And vice versa.
dobbie

Return to Media Madness