Hello

Open discussion for all registered members.

Postby Kathy_4 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:57 pm

Well, they do seem to like you there. :P
Kathy_4

*waves*

Postby jhawksgirl » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:05 pm

Hey all! :)
My name is Chris and I am an atheist. I have been free from the evils of religion since 2004.

Big fan of the Non-Prophets. Keep up the good work.
jhawksgirl
Forum Moderator

Postby Sans_Deity » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:46 am

Welcome Chris. :)

As I get more free time, I'll be updating sections on editing guidelines, tips and areas that require work. In the meanwhile, feel free to look around and even dig in on editing/correcting (if you're comfortable with that).

-Matt
Sans_Deity
Iron Chariots Admin

howdy

Postby Kazim » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:41 pm

Thought I'd stop in an say hello. You all are doing a great job with this!

Ginny
If you did not like the writing style in this message, then you will certainly not enjoy my blog, which is at:
http://kazimskorner.blogspot.com/
Kazim
Iron Chariots Admin

Postby atheistthoughts » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:06 pm

Hey! This is Tony from Missouri and I found this through the Non-prophets, which is the best podcast of all time (better than Hellbound Alleee and InfidelGuy).
atheistthoughts

Atheists Anonymous

Postby jhawksgirl » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:37 pm

This thread reads like an AA meeting. :lol:

My name is Hank and I'm an atheist.
Hello, Hank!

Hey Ginny!! :) I need to call you so we can catch up.
jhawksgirl
Forum Moderator

Idea?

Postby jhawksgirl » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:00 pm

I noticed, on the main page, that there's talk of articles regarding apologist and anti-apologist views. I'd be more than happy to start something about LDS/Mormonism; if that's needed. I would consider myself "well educated" in said topic. What do you think? Is there a need for that on the wiki?
jhawksgirl
Forum Moderator

Postby Sans_Deity » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:56 pm

An article on any given religion, is welcome...the more thorough the better.

With regard to "neutral point of view"...here's my take, which isn't yet officially included in the guidelines, but will be, eventually:

- Quotes need to be accurate
- The views of individuals and/or doctrines of organizations must be accurately represented as factually and neutrally as possible
Mr. Jones has claimed to believe in ghosts.

- Not -
Mr. Jones holds this ridiculous view that ghosts exist.

- Where contradictory views exist between different members of an organization they should also be represented neutrally - with a description of how and why they differ.
While Protestants generally observe 'The Lord's Supper' as a ceremonial sacrament signifying obedience, Catholic doctrine includes the concept of transubstantiation, which transcends the ceremonial observance and holds that the wafer actually transforms into the body of Christ. There is some disagreement about whether this transformation is "actual" or merely "spiritual."

- Not -
Protestants have grape juice and wafers ceremonially, but Catholics go way out on a limb and claim that they're actually eating Jesus' body! Yuk!

Commentary on these views, rebuttals, counter-arguments etc. do not require any "neutral view" nonsense, though I'd prefer we avoid sounding polemic or overly condescending. This is ok...
The concept of transubstantiation, while repugnant to many, is supported only by particular, exegetic, interpretation. It remains an unproven assertion which violates natural laws. To the rational mind, which relies upon consistent, empirical evidence, this claim seems ridiculous and, until such time as reasonable evidence is presented to jutify this claim, belief is unwarranted.

And I've been known to go quite a bit farther when riled. Take a look at the comment boxes in my walkthrough for episode 7 of the Way of the Master series...

Rational thought and logical discourse will go much farther than insult. However, ridiculous beliefs (as I _know_ Russell agrees) deserve to be ridiculed. I'd just prefer that our ridicule stay at a justified level, backed with sound arguments.

-Matt
Sans_Deity
Iron Chariots Admin

Postby jhawksgirl » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:06 am

Sounds reasonable. :) I'll get on it.
jhawksgirl
Forum Moderator

Postby Anne » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:38 am

Hi! I was recently reminded of the existence of this site after listening to the most recent (as of the time of this writing) Non-Prophets show. I don't know if any of the hosts will recognize me simply on the basis of my name and location, but I've sent in several rather long-winded e-mails to the show (albeit under a different account than I used to sign up for this forum), but I am Anne from California. I've been an atheist (officially) for 10 years and I definitely see the need for sites such as this that might be able to organize coherent responses to the various apologetics that tend to emerge frequently in various religious discussions.

I figured I would sign up with an account here after I heard something on the audio show about the necessity of proofreaders -- seeing as I am hyper-aware of such things as spelling errors, I figured that I might be able to use this toward positive ends here on the Wiki.
Anne

Postby jhawksgirl » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:50 am

Hi, Anne!
Fellow Golden-stater welcoming you. :)
jhawksgirl
Forum Moderator

Postby Carneades » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:18 am

I knew more Californians would show up before long. Welcome. :D
"We have begun to contemplate our origins: starstuff pondering the stars..." -Carl Sagan
Carneades

Postby Carneades » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:26 am

Sans_Deity wrote:And I've been known to go quite a bit farther when riled. Take a look at the comment boxes in my walkthrough for episode 7 of the Way of the Master series...

That is a fantastic review, Matt. It made me feel sorry for Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron. If they find arguments like these convincing, they must lead terribly limited lives.
"We have begun to contemplate our origins: starstuff pondering the stars..." -Carl Sagan
Carneades

Postby Kazim » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:39 pm

Anne wrote:Hi! I was recently reminded of the existence of this site after listening to the most recent (as of the time of this writing) Non-Prophets show. I don't know if any of the hosts will recognize me simply on the basis of my name and location, but I've sent in several rather long-winded e-mails to the show (albeit under a different account than I used to sign up for this forum), but I am Anne from California.

Hi Anne, and welcome. Of course we recognize you.
If you did not like the writing style in this message, then you will certainly not enjoy my blog, which is at:
http://kazimskorner.blogspot.com/
Kazim
Iron Chariots Admin

another member

Postby kahvi » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:39 pm

This was a great idea. I'm looking forward to contributing.

Love "Atheist Experience" and "Non-prophets" too, by the way.
kahvi

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion