Debating William Lane Craig without the Gish gallop

Open discussion for all registered members.

Postby worldslaziestbusker » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:33 pm

DjVortex wrote:It may be a case of someone having this not-uncommon personality trait (which is a nicer way of saying "personality defect") that they are unable to admit having made a mistake and being wrong, and will usually go to incredible extremes in order to defend their statements and not having to admit anything.

Regardless of what winds up his clockwork, the guy has taught me a lot in regard to dealing with slippery theists. Lessons I would rather have not had, as it has been an unpleasant journey, and I wish people as nasty as that were far rarer, but I can't say I didn't learn.
worldslaziestbusker

On the troll again

Postby worldslaziestbusker » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:08 am

Here's Irishjazz' latest outing.
I typed a response to this, only just catching myself before hitting send. I decided I was done with this guy when our last exchange finished with him writing "I can't explain to you why you are on the wrong track, but I assure you that you are."
Slimy git.
http://sguforums.com/index.php/topic,40300.0.html

Things have gone quiet in the dialogue with the WLC fan. My own week long absences prevent me from making much of this. Time will tell.
worldslaziestbusker

does Irishjazz make a good point?

Postby dobbie » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:11 pm

I don’t know very much about the posts by Irishjazz on The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe forum. But, with respect to the few posts that I read, I pretty much agreed with him, except for his following statement:

[quote="Irishjazz"]“I have always found the tactic of evoking the null hypothesis in arguments for atheism unsatisfying.â€
dobbie

Re: does Irishjazz make a good point?

Postby worldslaziestbusker » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:07 am

dobbie wrote:I don’t know very much about the posts by Irishjazz on The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe forum. But, with respect to the few posts that I read, I pretty much agreed with him,

In my reading, his thread is another attempt to establish NOMa. You don't catch him attempting to make the same case on the behalf of anti-vaccination advocates or homoepathy promoters, though the argument is every bit as valid for them as for anyone else who makes claims about the real world.
A consistent straw man he makes about me is that I am anti-theist, but I don't care what anyone else believes. I only care if they try to tell me how to live my life. If they try that, I demand they show me evidence to justify their mandates. No mandate, no worries. No evidence, no compliance, and scorn in proportion to the insult afforded by their presumption.
People who believe what I consider nonsense who don't try to tell me what to do don't show up on my radar.
IJ tries to make out that even kicking against the pricks who want their religious ideas taken into consideration in decisions which affect entire communities is intellectually flawed.

Logic tests
Your syllogism
But don't apply
To catechism
Noma Shave*

*For best results, use Occam's Razor
worldslaziestbusker

Re: Debating William Lane Craig without the Gish gallop

Postby worldslaziestbusker » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:12 am

I recently had an interesting time debating the Kalam with an acolyte of William Lane Craig in which I encountered, for the first time, argumentum I'madetectivedoncherknowum, a species of argument from authority with a unique automatic-back-tracking feature and dissonance absorbing buffers.
http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=15393
It's long, in spite of my efforts at being pithy without being pissy.

I have also uploaded, with the artist's permission, a short graphic novel about cognitive dissonance to the Atheist Foundation of Australia. I thought I'd share it further by linking it for the Iron Charioteers.
http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=15852

Cheerio
Matt
worldslaziestbusker

Previous

Return to General Discussion