Science in the Bible counter

Open discussion for all registered members.

Science in the Bible counter

Postby Ashloc13 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:26 pm

Recently I have been having a series of talks with theists and more and more I am getting hit with < Gawd revealed science in the bible THOUSANDS of years ago>

Now this is not a new arguement from theists.

Over the last 8 weeks I have been talking with some jehovahs wittnesses. Old earth creationist who deny evolution and say that even though the bible is not a scientific text book when it talks about something scientific its always accurate.

During one of our talks which strangly always fall on days I am wearing a ripped shirt and have Ace Ventura bed head the young lady was beguiling me with the truely prophetic powers of bible science I countered with this and it seemed to stop the talk.

I asked if From the earth to the moon written in 1865 was proof that Jules Verne was a prophet of god?

She replied no.

I said that his predicition that man would goto the moon was far more accurate in discription then anything she had presented me from the bible and could not be interpreted in any other way.

Silence!

I said that Star Trek from the 60s predicted Ion propulsion decades before it was actually used. I asked if that was proof the writers were profits of god?

She replied no.

At first she didn't seem to get where I was going until I finished by asking did she think that god was revealing science through science fiction now or if those writers were just creative thinkers?

She said gods word is revealed in the bible not in science fiction.

So I asked if science fiction can and has provided more accurate predictions of future science fact then how do we tell the difference between revealed truth as they call it and creative works . How do we tell the difference between a lucky guess or what you are presenting me which seems little more then a mined quote from your scriptures that appears to match discovery (X) if you force yourself to put it into a modern context .

That was the basic form of my counter and the end result was her becoming very frustrated and even angry.

I don't know if my counter was valid but if it is I am trying to expand this arguement and welcome suggestions.
Ashloc13

Re: Science in the Bible counter

Postby dobbie » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:39 pm

ashloc13 wrote: what you are presenting me that which seems little more then a mined quote from your scriptures that appears to match discovery (X) if you force yourself to put it into a modern context .

I'd say you did as well as anybody could. I'd also say it's not important to make an argument to win, just one to present point of view. Be that as it may, could you share one of the scientific facts she said was in the Bible?
dobbie

Postby Ashloc13 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:50 pm

The Hydrologic Water Cycle
Revealed in the Bible: Job 36:27-28

and

The Earth being suspended on nothing as proof of gravity. Cleaning your hands or sending the sick out of the village. Sorry its hard to pick them all out over 8 weeks. I find that most theists but specifically ones who are tryng to convince you of a claim like this hit you with a dozen claims before you can address one. It's almost like they know their arguement is weak but if I hit you with it enough all at once and you can't say its wrong on everypoint then I win therefore god!
Ashloc13

Postby sepia » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:37 pm

I have used the same argument with Jules Verne in discussions with theists. The most recent example was from a facebook group for moslems and atheists. I didn't get any response from a theist, who claims, that the bible or the quran contained accurate modern science; but the atheists liked my argument.

P.S.: I would be careful with modern technologies predicted in Science Fiction, because in some cases it is easy to respond, that the inventors of the real technique were inspired by these SF stories.
sepia

Postby dobbie » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:26 pm

Ashloc13 wrote: [The theist had claimed] The Earth being suspended on nothing as proof of gravity

A just little talk about it. It's a good one since it really does sound as if it speaks of gravity energy that holds the earth in place in space.

The way I see it, though: The description comes as it were almost out of nowhere in the book of Job.

26:7 He stretches out the north over empty space and hangs the earth on nothing.

The part where it says "he stretches out the north over empty space" is a mystery to biblical scholars, so I suggest there's more to it than meets the eye. My skeptical view says it just means the emptiness of the north polar sky. And the earth hangs under it. Doesn't have to be about gravity at all.

I rant about it on my blog, too:
Does the Bible say gravity keeps earth in space
http://skepticvsbible.blogspot.com/2011 ... earth.html
dobbie

Postby gauSSian » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:03 am

I wish I could have seen her face!!! :P

I was recently presented with the following quote by a Jewish person:

"The Earth is round, hangeth upon nothing, and moves in circuit with his brethren."

I had suggested that the Bible is not the place to seek cosmological information.

I tried to use the physics of Einstein to show that the sun's gravity, like all gravitation fields, has mass and is therefore "something," and was greeted with, "well, you know what they meant."

I suggested this is a convenient way to plug up the holes in the Bible, but the fact is, science tells us how to describe gravity, albeit incompletely at this point (C'mon, Dr. Witten...). However, Einstein's theory of gravity as given in his general theory of relatively makes far more testable predictions (which have stood the test of time for 97 years) than the absent "theory" of gravity as given by the Bible, which falls a "bit" shy of even Newton's theory, which was quite astounding for its time.

By the way...the Jehovah's Witnesses have stopped coming by to see me... :lol:
Living in their pools, They soon forget about the sea...— Rush, "Natural Science" (1980)

Don't you know though our kids are dumb, we got smart bombs, what a joyous thing!—Oingo Boingo, "War Again" (1993)
gauSSian

Postby sepia » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:20 pm

By the way the earth doesn't hang at all.
sepia

Return to General Discussion