Paranormal Idiot pretending to be rational

Open discussion for all registered members.

Paranormal Idiot pretending to be rational

Postby Gnator » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:15 pm

I made the mistake of making a comment on a Youtube (Why did I do that!?) about this Psi Wheel trend. He was using the Psi Wheel as a springboard of proof that telekinesis is real, and there is "something to this paranormal thing". A run of the mill parlor trick! It was an exercise in insanity.
This guy calls himself a " Freethinker." The funny thing is, he is replacing religion with paranormal nonsense. I can never say the paranormal doesn't exist,(Like I can't prove Unicorns don't exist.) I obviously don't buy into people that claim to have paranormal ability. The loophole is, he said,"if you don't believe me, try it for yourself." He also has a video titled something like " how to spot a fake telekinetic." BTW I hoped my comment would be read by young impressionable children and teenagers, who seem to miss the border between fantasy and reality, maybe to get them to question what is happening here. He's got a lot of people wasting their time with his horseshit philosphy! Quotes from kids (one was 9) like, "I can do it! Psi power is real!" or "I need to train more." Maybe I was too lofty or Idealistic.

I have a major problem with this ground: as a kid people kept telling me magic, psychics and UFOs were real- I never bought it as reality, nontheless the way of thinking was confusing to me as a kid- I grew up in a very superstitious Texas environment. However, these modes of thought stunted my cognitive ability to shake the abuse by the Catholic Church, that i need to pray harder, that I'm not repenting hard enough, or that God is punishing me for not being this or that. I really resent people like this Charlatan for that!!!!!
Anyone have an opinion about this?
Gnator

Re: Paranormal Idiot pretending to be rational

Postby Lausten » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:54 pm

We were into all of type of stuff that as a family in the 70's. My Dad less so, but he just joked about it, he didn't know how to challenge me and get me to think about what I was believing in. It was all over the place, like Uri Geller on Carson (The Tonight Show). Unfortunately I missed the one where Carson worked with James Randi to help Carson debunk him. We also talked about science and watched PBS, so when Easter Island was on Nova, I thought, finally, we're going to get some legimate data on these aliens that built these statues. Much to my surprise, it was just a bunch of archeaologists. They didn't seem to know anything about the aliens at all!

So, comment away. Use some teenage language if you want so you are connecting, but be sure to give some data, some fact they can check on, some experiment they can try, some question that might stick with them. It may take a few years before they act on it, but that's all you can do with people that age.
Lausten

Postby Gnator » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:34 pm

Thank you for your opinion. I joined this forum to hopefully develop my knowledge of skeptical thought. I like to think that I am skeptical intuitively, but I want to discover more outside my own personal experience, to become more persuasive and educated on these subjects.
I felt so provoked by these people on Youtube, that I couldn't resist giving a comment (Again, I won't waste my time on that anymore.) I was also offended on the basis that these Ron L. Hubbard like morons were (unwittingly or not) trying to erase the line between fantasy and reality-targeted at "students of telekinesis." Siegel and Shuster weren't trying to trick us into believing Superman is a real person (I assume! jk.)But the comic was interesting because they invited us to wonder, not jump off buildings to learn how to fly! I think fiction, art and musings of our minds (including creative magic shows, that toy with our perceptions)are all wonderful ways of exploring ourselves. I lhave a strong respect for real science, especially biology. What really exists (within human psychology and behavior as well) is way more fascinating than we could ever conjure up with pseudo-science! Dawkins had a quote saying something like this, but I forget the quote verbatim.

In summary: In this modern day and age, people that preach supernatural phenomena as reality make me so angry, because it personally harmed me- like a monkey wrench slowing my(and others) development in critical thinking! I became an atheist later in my than I should of, I think.
Gnator

Postby sepia » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:22 pm

During the last month I have written some comments on youtube too, so I have a little experience with such people. Proponents of pseudoscience often think, they are rational. It might be not very satistfying at the beginning, but I think, you should stop answering them if you are overextended. The comment section of youtube is not at all an important place/source for scientific discourse. If you stop writing the opponent might think to have won, but this "victory" is worthless.
sepia

Postby Gnator » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:29 pm

Sepia: Yeah, you're right. I should also learn to not feel goaded so easily, and pick battles a little better. I would be better off, though, not ever, ever seeing Youtube comments again!
Gnator

Return to General Discussion