Earth Science for Christian Schools

Open discussion for all registered members.

Earth Science for Christian Schools

Postby Nitz Walsh » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:10 am

I posted this in the wrong section of the forum so I deleted it before anyone replied and reposted it in here.

I recently went to a store here called Value Village, a chain of thrift stores. They have a used book section where I found a high school textbook called Earth Science for Christian Schools, it was $3.99 so of course I bought it. I had to share some of what I'm finding in this textbook so here's some quotes. If I say Christian scientists it's referring to scientists who are Christian, not the religious group.

"Because he(a non-christian scientist) now knows something that other men do not, he may become puffed up with pride. However, a scientist who is a Christian studies God's handiwork with an attitude of reverence and humility. He realizes his own limitations as a human being and interprets his findings as evidence of God's greatness and goodness rather than his own cleverness."

"The Christian researcher is aware that God has communicated many important scientific truths to man in His written Word, the Bible." Like the creation of daylight before the sun and moon and the Earth having four corners and being held up by pillars. The same paragraph later says, "We would know far less than we do about the world we live in if God had not chosen to reveal these important truths to us in His Word."

"The thoughtful Christian researcher uses the statements of Scripture to guide his thinking. He puts different portions of scripture together and draws up a broad outline of truth which is called his scientific framework. This framework is the "skeleton" upon which he later places the "flesh": the detailed findings from his scientific investigations. If his findings fail to fit the framework, he immediately suspects that he has made a mistake in his research. Realizing that he is a fallible human being, he reviews and carefully checks his work. He knows, whatever else may happen, that his framework is correct and that true science will fit that framework. Anything that does not fit the Bible-derived framework must come under the heading of "science falsely so called" (1 Timothy 6:20). True science always agrees with the Bible." Although this paragraph made me chuckle, it also made me gag a little. Could you imagine a world in which science was actually done that way? It's no wonder the Creationists can't get their "research" published in peer reviewed science journals.

This is my favourite quote so far, "The amazing scientific accuracy of the Bible has been demonstrated throughout history." It then quotes Job 28:25 as the bible telling us that air has weight before scientists figured it out.

These are just from the first 6 pages. It's ridiculous. Over the next few pages it says that Science fails us because we don't know what's beyond subatomic particles or how gravity and energy work. It accuses people of worshiping science instead of God and that we shouldn't exalt science because it is "a magical giver of all good things, and the only source of true knowledge."

I won't go through the entire book mining for quotes, but if anyone wants to know what it says on a specific topic let me know.
Nitz Walsh

Re: Earth Science for Christian Schools

Postby sepia » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:45 pm

I think a good way to deal with such books, is philosophy. You can at least show, that many things in the book are unnecessary, because they are based on circular reasoning. Take Ockham's Razor, cut every circular reasoning away and look, what is left.

Nitz Walsh wrote:"Because he(a non-christian scientist) now knows something that other men do not, he may become puffed up with pride. However, a scientist who is a Christian studies God's handiwork with an attitude of reverence and humility. He realizes his own limitations as a human being and interprets his findings as evidence of God's greatness and goodness rather than his own cleverness."

Scientists notice their own limitations by doing science wholy apart from their religious belief. They can know it by the simple fact, that it is impossible for them to find a scientific answer to any question they are interested in. And someone who knows, how to do science, shouldn't see anything as evidence for god, because from the assumtion, that god exists, nothing follows.

Nitz Walsh wrote:"The Christian researcher is aware that God has communicated many important scientific truths to man in His written Word, the Bible." Like the creation of daylight before the sun and moon and the Earth having four corners and being held up by pillars. The same paragraph later says, "We would know far less than we do about the world we live in if God had not chosen to reveal these important truths to us in His Word."

Again no researcher is justified to belief that anything is a divine revelation. The last sentence is a Sherlock Holmes Fallacy. Just because the author ignores alternatives, it doesn't mean, that they don't exist.

Nitz Walsh wrote:"The thoughtful Christian researcher uses the statements of Scripture to guide his thinking.

This is even absurd. Scripture is something you have to be able to read and interpret. This means you already have to make assumtions and you have to think, befor you can understand the scripture. And I wonder which scripture the author is talking about: The original, or the translation? :P

Nitz Walsh wrote:If his findings fail to fit the framework, he immediately suspects that he has made a mistake in his research. Realizing that he is a fallible human being, he reviews and carefully checks his work. He knows, whatever else may happen, that his framework is correct and that true science will fit that framework.

Then he shouldn't waste his life with research. Because he already "knows" from the scripture what he should find. If he doesn't find it, his research must be wrong, because the scripture says so.

Nitz Walsh wrote:This is my favourite quote so far, "The amazing scientific accuracy of the Bible has been demonstrated throughout history." It then quotes Job 28:25 as the bible telling us that air has weight before scientists figured it out.

By the standards of the author this is circular reasoning:

Every science, which doesn't agree with the bible, is wrong. Therefor science supports the bible.
sepia

Postby dobbie » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:04 pm

If you ask me, it's also a case of Christian vs Christian! For example, in the fourth century, St. Augustine warned against using the Bible to determine how the world was created! I've posted about Augustine's warning statement on my blog:

41 Did early Christians rethink Genesis creation
http://skepticvsbible.blogspot.com/2011/03/41-augustine-4th-c-warns-against-6-day.html
dobbie

Postby Nitz Walsh » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:26 pm

Sepia, if you cut away all of the circular arguments and various other fallacies from this textbook it'd be left with maybe 20 pages.

Thanks for sharing your blog post Dobbie, I'll have to read some of those earlier Christian writings.
Nitz Walsh

Return to General Discussion