Climate change, Education and atheism in Vietnam

Open discussion for all registered members.

Climate change, Education and atheism in Vietnam

Postby mashpotato82 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:34 am

Hi, I have been living in Vietnam for 5 years, 3 years ago the government started relocating people who were living along the Mekong river, as the river was getting wider. Well, some of the small houses next to the Mekong have just been swallowed by the water. I live very close to this, Can Tho city, many locals can't relocate. Due to their age, monetary situation, or just lack of understanding (the education they receive here is limited) means many people will be homeless from flooding.
Since the last war here, things have developed fast. Education teenagers receive today is far superior to what their parents had. This causes a huge problem, especially in the rural regions of Vietnam. Imagine being a 15 year old student and being far more intelligent than your parents in every aspect. I have students break down in tears, they say having parents is like having children.

Now, I considered myself to be a witty teen 12 years ago or more, but my parents and friends parents worked with us to form a mutual understanding and skills for life.
Not so here. Parents do not, ever, listen to, take advice from, compare ideas with or admit they're wrong to children/teenagers.

You may know that Vietnam as a religious culture is manly Buddhist, although there are catholic churches everywhere. in fact, i worked for a university in Saigon for 3 years and about 90% of students were christian. In the last couple of years I have seen a burst of Atheists, students saying "religion, what a load of crap".
I would now say most of my students and a large chunk of the younger generation have no interest in religion. They don't hate it, because it doesn't play a huge role in society like in America or more so in the middle east. But, this is the one thing their parents can accept, their atheism.

I love living in Vietnam, it's like watching the world change before your eyes, I guess folks older than myself saw that happen in America, Australia, England, etc...
It really is like stepping back in time, my life is simple and enjoyable, $2 a day feeds me, i travel on my motorbike, drop food off at the orphanage and meet friends for ice tea.
mashpotato82

Return to General Discussion