I need a better community, and a not-veiled jab at RW

Open discussion for all registered members.

I need a better community, and a not-veiled jab at RW

Postby EnlightenmentLiberal » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:23 am

So, I'm also halfway active on RationalWiki, though apparently I need to find better digs. For a site whose mission statement is:
Our purpose here at RationalWiki includes:

Analyzing and refuting pseudoscience and the anti-science movement.
Documenting the full range of crank ideas.
Explorations of authoritarianism and fundamentalism.
Analysis and criticism of how these subjects are handled in the media.

I am quite surprised about some of their recent behavior. I even had one regular(?) member tell me that I was being too narrow in my definition of acceptable evidence because it excluded human intuition! Although, I was more pissed with the recent discourse, where I was informed that I shouldn't be so mad at Catholics for giving money to an international child rape ring, and that I shouldn't hold individual Catholics partly responsible for this. I of course politely and unpolitely disagreed.

I donated once to that web site. I don't think I'll do it again.

I wish the ironchariots forums were more active.

Anyone have a good place where the "cool kids" hang out? FreeThoughtBlogs seems like one of the more happening places. I think some of the people there are too judgmental and leap to conclusions too fast for ostracizing members of the atheist/freethinker community (emphasis sometimes) (I was particularly annoyed by the community's strong dislike of the Penny Arcade people, though I understand there a little), but it seems to be one of the best place there is.
EnlightenmentLiberal

Re: I need a better community, and a not-veiled jab at RW

Postby Lausten » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:03 pm

[quote=http://www.centerforinquiry.net/forums/]Center for Inquiry[/quote]
I have some pretty decent discussion at CFI. There are a few good "regulars". But this is the internet, you can never get completely away from the trolls. I like Reasonable Doubts on FreeThoughBlogs, but they just aren't very active. Also Austin Atheists, they will ban the morons pretty quick and they post essays as well the weekly discussion of the TV show.
Lausten

Postby EnlightenmentLiberal » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:02 pm

I agree about the Austin Atheists. Matt Dillahunty is one of my favorite speakers, and I thoroughly enjoy the TV show, and I look forward to the new npr podcasts.
EnlightenmentLiberal

Postby NearlySane » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:50 am

http://www.religionethics.co.uk

A good split here of atheists and theists, created when the religious messageboard closed on the BBC. I'm quite regular there and have been part of that "community" for 6 years or so. A little cliquey at times, but it's a busy little forum for the amount of active members it has.

Btw, I'm not Nearly Sane on that forum, I just stole his name for here. :)
NearlySane

Return to General Discussion