Bertrand Russell --- Natural Law

Open discussion for all registered members.

Bertrand Russell --- Natural Law

Postby Niels » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:08 pm

Hi,

When I was looking through the creationist's Natural Law argument on the Iron Chariots wiki, I came across one of Bertrand Russell's quotes that I could not entirely understand. This is the part that bugs me:

"Why did God issue just those natural laws and no others? If you say that he did it simply from his own good pleasure, and without any reason, you then find that there is something which is not subject to law, and so your train of natural law is interrupted."

To what is Russell referring here with the word "something"? Any particular phenomenon in the universe or to God him/her/itself? I don't entirely understand his argumentation here either. In what sense is the "train of natural law interrupted"?

Would really appreciate some clarification.
With kind regards,

Niels
Niels

Re: Bertrand Russell --- Natural Law

Postby EnlightenmentLiberal » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:25 am

As I understand it, the argument goes like:
"Gravity is a natural law. There is no other way it could have been."
"Ah, but did 'god' have a choice in the mechanics of gravity? If 'god' could have done it differently, then there is another way that gravity could have been, and thus it's not a natural law - it's merely a consequence of a choice of 'god'. On the other hand, if it is a natural law, and there is no other way it could have been, then why need 'god'?"

It's the same argument in Euthyphro's Dilemma.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthyphro_dilemma
EnlightenmentLiberal

Return to General Discussion