Internal Server Error

Feedback, questions and concerns about the forums

Internal Server Error

Postby Cephus » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:03 pm

Someone may want to look into it, but more often than not when I'm posting, I'm getting an Internal Server Error. The post does go through but I have to back out and refresh the page to see it.

Next time it happens, I'll grab the details and post them here.
Cephus

Postby Sans_Deity » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:48 pm

This has happened to me as well - I'm not sure if there's anything that can be done. As far as I can tell, it's "just one of those things" and may be related to problems at the hosting site.

-Matt
Sans_Deity
Iron Chariots Admin

Postby eebamxela » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:21 am

Isn't there a new version of phpBB that could be implemented?
eebamxela

Postby donnyton » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:24 am

The post still gets there...although now I know that it's not just a problem on my end.
donnyton

Postby Juju » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:05 pm

Errors are never "just one of those things". There's always a reason they happen. Would you take the same attitude towards religion?
Juju

Postby Sans_Deity » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:14 pm

It's just one of those things as in...

I pay for a standard hosting service and don't have the ability to troubleshoot the problem, make changes to their internal configuration or offer them a consistent pathway to reproduce the problem in order that they can troubleshoot it.

From the blackbox perspective of QA, errors can be "just one of those things". The fact that there's a reason doesn't mean you have any realistic method for determining what that reason is.

-Matt
Sans_Deity
Iron Chariots Admin

Postby Juju » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:35 am

Here are some ideas:
  • Isn't there a logfile somewhere the captures all the errors?
  • Perhaps it's a permissions issue on one of the files?
  • Maybe something wrong in the .htaccess file?

I'd have the hosting people look into it, they can't expect you to just put up with errors. It could very easily be a server misconfiguration isssue, in which case it is their problem.

As a programmer, it's hard for me to accept problems being the accepted status quo. Often times at my job, I've often discovered my customers had been putting up with very annoying bugs for years and years simply because it's "just one of those things the system does". They'd work around annoying things for years and never complain about it. But once we did find out, it was often fixed within the hour.
Juju

Return to Forum Feedback