Private Messaging spam

Feedback, questions and concerns about the forums

Private Messaging spam

Postby ShaunPhilly » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:28 pm

I've now received three separate private messages from spammers here. Anyone else getting this?

Shaun
I'll fight for a person's right to speak so long as that person will, in return, fight to allow me to challenge their opinions and ridicule them as the content of their ideas merit.
ShaunPhilly

Postby LaPalida » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:29 pm

Yes... and it's becoming annoying. You guys gotta come up with some system to filter out the bots. Maybe use captcha?
Where Bishop Patrick crossed the street
An "X" now marks the spot.
The light of God was with him,
But the traffic light was not. -Yip Harburg
LaPalida

Postby Sans_Deity » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:28 pm

The forum is as secure as I can make it...they're spamming in private messages because they can't get in to the forum. The only choice I have is to turn of messages and I'd rather not do that.

I've been banning them as quickly as I find out about them, but until I find another solution, it's just going to happen.

-Matt
Sans_Deity
Iron Chariots Admin

Postby LaPalida » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:44 pm

Hey Matt! No worries. I was going to suggest that you implement captcha for the forum registration to get rid of bots. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha
LaPalida

Postby fastthumbs » Sat May 23, 2009 2:03 am

Getting private messaged spammed as well. Hope you can find a workable solution.
- Andrew
What you may believe may not be true and what may be true you may not believe! (- My brother)
fastthumbs

Postby Some Dude » Mon May 25, 2009 10:28 am

LaPalida wrote:Hey Matt! No worries. I was going to suggest that you implement captcha for the forum registration to get rid of bots. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha

Captcha's can make the problem worse.
I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair but it would be much worse if life were fair and all the things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them. Now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe.
Some Dude

Postby fastthumbs » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:54 am

fastthumbs wrote:Getting private messaged spammed as well. Hope you can find a workable solution.

Just thought I'd bring this up again - Since December, I am recieving several spam messages per week (after not getting spammed after May 2009).
- Andrew
What you may believe may not be true and what may be true you may not believe! (- My brother)
fastthumbs

Postby Steve » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:56 pm

Same here. I'm sure they're working on it, though.
Steve

Postby LaPalida » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:03 am

more spam :(
LaPalida

Postby LtCmd.Lore » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:51 pm

Sans_Deity wrote:they're spamming in private messages because they can't get in to the forum.

You can't just make it so that people who can't get in the forum also cannot send PMs?

Edit: never mind, I just remembered that new members have to PM you to gain access in the first place.
LtCmd.Lore

Return to Forum Feedback