Suggestions for the Forums

Feedback, questions and concerns about the forums

Suggestions for the Forums

Postby bugsoup » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:09 pm

I have a couple ideas that I think would help the forums and the community.

1. Add a forum section for introductions; a place for everyone to share personal information and get acquainted

2. Add a forum section dedicated to outside media; people can share youtube/google video/podcast links and discuss them.
bugsoup

Postby Sans_Deity » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:43 pm

Done.

New Forums:

Who's Who (Introductions)
Media Madness

Thanks for the suggestion!

-Matt
Sans_Deity
Iron Chariots Admin

Postby bugsoup » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:44 pm

Wow, that was fast. Thanks

Edit: What are your thoughts on posting torrent links? There are some materials which are unavailable to most of the world without going downloading torrents. One such video that comes to mind is the Louis Theroux documentary "The Most Hated Family in America" about the Phelps' cult. I personally found it in full on a torrent site but to those outside the UK, this is the only way to get it.
bugsoup

Postby bugsoup » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:42 pm

I just thought of a few other forum categories that may be useful.

1. Religion in our government - to specifically discuss laws, proposed laws, activist groups, etc relating to religions trying to impose their beliefs.

2. News section - to discuss the latest religious mom who kills her babies/kids, current jail sentences/deaths of prominent church leaders, or even good things done in the name of religion and atheism. I suppose the Media Matters section could be used for this also even though News it isn't the type of media originally slated for it.

3. An off-topic section - there are many, many topics that don't stem from atheism, but I've often wondered how like-minded people think about other topics besides religious belief. This could include computer topics, sports, work, life, etc. This could even be a place to discuss meetups or setup online chats.

I'm not sure if your goal is to grow the forum much beyond atheism and christian apologetics, but at least #1 and #2 can help seperate some of the larger topics out of the General Discussion category.

Keep up the great work.
bugsoup

Postby Sans_Deity » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:28 am

I don't think I'm ready to subdivide that general forum into a bunch of sub-topics. Given the volume of posts, it just doesn't seem worth it.

If a particular forum gets cumbersome, I'll be happy to split off into specific areas. Technically, many of the most popular (current) discussions there probably belong in the Believer's Backlash category - but I haven't forced that because the volume has been low.

If we need the extra categories, I'll happily add them.

-Matt
Sans_Deity
Iron Chariots Admin

IronChariots Chatroom?

Postby helo darqness » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:22 pm

have we considered an Iron Chariots chat room, for more immediate discussion?

I think it would be a cool feature if it was free/on the cheap.

Just a thought.

edit: quick google search brings up this,

http://www.phpopenchat.org/

which seems to be built on the same platform / software as the board
If God controls the land and disease,
Keeps a watchful eye on me,
If he's really so damn mighty,
My problem is I can't see,
Well who would wanna be?
Who would wanna be such a control freak?
--Modest Mouse
helo darqness

Postby donnyton » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:09 pm

Chatrooms don't work as well for these kinds of discussion because you can't make well-thought out points (and it's harder to post media).

It's better when there's a show or something so you can make commentary.
"To say that it's not okay to believe in something that may or may not be true is ridiculous. Some people like to have that mystical fantasy in the world. It adds flavor."
donnyton

Postby GizmoIscariot » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:03 pm

donnyton wrote:Chatrooms don't work as well for these kinds of discussion because you can't make well-thought out points (and it's harder to post media).

It's better when there's a show or something so you can make commentary.

I don't know if the chatroom was a suggestion to replace the forums. I think a chat would be cool, its just a matter of how to do it and in what form and how to moderate it.

The other issue would be to be how restrictive. When I used to hang out with the Rational Response Squad guys, they had a chat room on stickam but it would either go into a theist/atheist debate that would go no where (though many would argue if any of them ever do go anywhere, but sometimes they would spirial down to insults) or the immature people who would go there and if other people were trying to have a good discussion, it would be ruined by others.

Its a cool idea, just easier said than done from what I have seen in the past.
GizmoIscariot

Postby fastthumbs » Sat May 23, 2009 2:18 am

I kinda missed the MSN Christian debate chatroom. I suggest if a chatroom is implemented, only users who has at least 5 posts would be allowed to post/participate. This should eliminate at least the spammers and fly by night one-poster.

Thoughts?
- Andrew
What you may believe may not be true and what may be true you may not believe! (- My brother)
fastthumbs

Return to Forum Feedback