Jesus, Herod, and Quirinius

Feedback, questions and concerns about the Wiki

Jesus, Herod, and Quirinius

Postby hencethus » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:45 pm

The problem of the conflicting birth dates given by Matthew and Luke is mentioned in the wiki here: http://wiki.ironchariots.org/index.php? ... Birth_Date

The typical apologist's response to this is that Josephus doesn't tell us anything about what Quirinius was doing during the time that Matthew tells us Jesus was born (near the end of Herod's life). Therefore Quirinius must also have been governor of Syria at an earlier time, after all, he was governor many times in many places.

I've also heard it said that the census Luke describes (an "apographee" in Greek) must be a minor event that Josephus did not mention, as opposed to the later taxation ("phoron" in Greek) in 6 CE that caused a revolt and was therefore important enough for Josephus to record. Basically, Luke and Josephus are talking about entirely different events.

Obviously there is always some ambiguity involved in determining truth in history. But how true are these claims, and how much do they matter?

Perhaps the wiki should be expanded to include this information.

EDIT: Do we know who was governor of Syria during the last years of Herod's life? That would be an important piece of information.
hencethus

Postby hencethus » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:56 pm

Wow, this section of the forums really doesn't get much traffic, does it?

I posted that almost a year ago.

At any rate, I found a journal article about Jesus and Quirinius in Catholic Biblical Quarterly. It's not much, but I added a bit of the information I gleaned from it to the wiki in the section about Jesus' birth date.

What convention are we using to cite sources? I just put the source in the References section, but there's no in-text citation to connect the information to the source.
hencethus

Return to Wiki Feedback