Does this seem like a good idea?

At least in theory, yes.
75%
At least in theory, no.
25%

Total votes : 4

Missing an opportunity: Youtube vids on topic pages

Postby the circus » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:56 am

I had originally planned to copy and paste my original post when I was applying for permission to post, but since that went away I'll have to re-write it.

It seems the wiki is missing the opportunity to take advantage of all the great youtube videos being created that also do an excellent job of explaining a given argument there might be an entry for. For many Iron Chariot pages, I've come across youtube vids that do as good a job if not better explaining the point.

This could potentially be a partnership with Youtube, or just a "further information" link at the bottom of the page, but with all the great material being created in video form it'd be great to also have that on Iron Chariots.

Ideally, I'd like to see a system where the casual user could nominate youtube videos for a given article, then at the bottom of the page have the representative video for the article, as well as some runner-up honorable-mentions. Then also include a simple Plus/Minus vote for the casual user to vote if a given video does the best job of being the representative video (Plus), or if perhaps it does a bad job and should be replaced (Minus).
the circus

Postby Tatarize » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:49 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure what it requires but for example MinecraftWiki has embedded youtube videos. Considering the absolutely great counter-apologetics work done in some videos not having them able to be embedded would be a mistake.
"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." - Frederick Douglass
Tatarize

Postby Tatarize » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:30 pm

<youtube>wx5EKaY1B8g</youtube>

Etc, are possible within MediaWiki with a plug in like WikiVid.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:WikiVid

And there are a lot of things where examples of an apolgetic being used are easy to find video examples etc. It really isn't too much to add in a plugin.
"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." - Frederick Douglass
Tatarize

Return to Wiki Feedback